Water-logged
Here within this blog entry I hope to relay a few of my 'vacation' experiences this Memorial weekend. Vacation is of course in quotations because every day is a vacation these days because I'm my own boss...well sort of. Regardless, I'll move on.
On Sunday afternoon I went with a group of friends to Barton Creek. We hiked for about 2 miles and then we found our point of entry into the creek. We blew up our tubes and were ready for an adventure. Well, we didn't know just how adventurous it would be. It was really peaceful since there weren't many people in the creek. Soon it started raining, but that didn't stop us...we were already too far committed. It was actually really fun 'playing' out in the rain. We continued on floating across the occasional small rapids and then through some calmer parts. Since the creek was pretty shallow it was at times painful floating over the rocks and we would often warn each other with a "butts up!" After floating downstream for a good while we came to a point where many drunk college-aged peeps had gathered apparently to have a good time drinking, swimming and laughing at all the 'fools' floating down the creek. We had no idea we'd be those fools. We saw the rapids coming and they looked bigger AND better. I was excited! Than, less than halfway through the run I lost my tube and the kids (in roughneck style) yelled, "Yu better get in yur tube!" I actually tried but failed as I flailed about in the white water. Since I was going backwards by this point I didn't see the 5-foot drop coming. Before I knew it I was sucked down into a whirlpool of water. The thought actually occured to me that I might drown as I stared into the white mass of water and wondered if I would make it up. Fortunately, the water threw me up and I was able to stand on a rock somehow. I stood bewildered for a moment and then wondered if anyone had just noticed that I almost drowned. Surprisingly, one of the drunk onlookers actually came up and asked if I was okay, and then kindly added that it was the best show they'd seen all day. Yay...thanks. They hadn't yet seen Tiff come hurling down the same waterfall (see her blog for more details) and hit her backside hard on a rock. She's got a huge bruise but fortunately that's all. The doctor actually said that if she had got the same injury on her head it would have been fatal! We praise the Lord for protecting us!!
So almost needless to say, Tiff and I were done, but we decided to stick with the group that chose to float down the creek a bit more. It actually was a good choice because we were just required to sit in our intertubes at this point and let the creek carry us away rather than brave the slippery, muddy trail. Tiff and I linked up and we got dragged into a couple of the bunches of brush on the sides because we were too tired to notice in which direction we were being carried away. We then were coming up to Mopac and decided that we needed to find a way out soon. Thanks to the Lord (okay, and Daniel) we found a perfect path that led us straight up to the starting point on the trail. We shivered back to our cars, cranked the heater and praised God for our adventures and the protection He gave us. A couple days later I'm happy to report that all I acquired from this adventure are a few scraps, bruises and sore muscles from shivering and holding my butt up in the tube.
After a half-day of being soaked, shivering and cold I spent another day in the water. I went with Tiffany to her grandmother's house for memorial day and we spent about 4 hours in the pool. We can't get enough H2O! It was a lot of fun, but at the end of the day I felt completely water-logged. I was done with being wet! I didn't even feel like taking a shower at the end of the day just because I wanted to be dry for a period of time.
...Folks, my wet and wild weekend...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home