Dave the Tax Collector
Today I finally had a chance to go to the Tax Collectors office and change over my car title. I went in and faced a huge sign that said "Stop here first!" on a red octagon. Then the lady dinged a bell to inform someone in the mass of cubicles of my presence. A man named Dave came to get me fairly quickly. I was impressed with how quick and easy everything was going so far. We sat down at his cube while he transferred everything and I wrote out a check. Then in the same breath that he used to explain what I should do with my title (like I didn't know) he said "you look nice." I was thinking "akward"....(in a sing song voice) and said a quick thank-you, awaiting my cue to leave. On my way out I saw 7 people all looking seemingly alike sitting in a row of chairs. It made me do a double take. After further observation it was a mom and her 6 kids!
I got back into the car about to head to work but then I realized that Dave had charged me tax on a sale price which was $180 over what my vehicle sold for. I realized that this wouldn't amount to much in the taxes I paid, but I was still curious as to why. I debated whether or not to go back and face the possibility of more akwardness with Dave but then I decided that the curiosity would kill me and so I braved it and went back in. Dave explained that the sales amount he typed on the document was 80% of how much the state valued the car at (so, it was proven once again what a great deal I got on the car :)) He then proceeded to say, "I'm glad you came back in." Little does he know, he was the reason I hesitated on stepping through those doors again.

3 Comments:
Ugh. Creepy. Hate it when that happens. Remind me to tell you about the three times I got hit on at the grocery store, by the same guy (not Dave). You'll appreciate it.
Glad you got your title stuff handled, though. :)
Now, what would Jesus say about your attitude towards tax collectors?
I should definitely love 'em! Who's preaching to me?
Post a Comment
<< Home